Monday, March 19, 2012

Welcome Mia Ileana Ortegon

Welcome Mia Ileana Ortegon!  The moment we have waited for so long has finally arrived, and we finally have our Baby Mia in our arms.  The entire experience this time went so much smoother than with Mateo, and I will be one of those irritating women that say how easy having a baby was.  I will say that the word "easy" is all relative, and it was definitely not fun - however, it probably went as well as I could have ever asked for.

I was scheduled to be induced Friday night the 9th, so we actually checked into the hospital to start the whole process at 8pm.  It didn't feel quite right checking in to have a baby.  We had a pre-baby dinner at Sam's Pizza, the same restaurant we ate the night Mateo was born.  It also happened to be a rainy Friday night which were the same circumstances as Mateo.

The nurses offered me the epidural shortly after they started the medicine to induce, which was odd to me because at the last hospital they made you wait as long as possible to get the epidural.  The nurse this time said they are a "pain free" hospital - so for anybody having a baby, I would highly recommend finding a "pain free" hospital!  That made all the difference in the world!  Although by the time the anesthesiologist arrived, the epidural was needed.  And I must say that getting the epidural was probably the worst part of the whole ordeal.

So after I was in a pain free state, the nurses said to take a nap for a few hours, it would probably be morning by the time I had Mia.  Less than an hour later, things started feeling not right, which is when I made Juan call for the nurse.  Earlier in the evening, I had asked the nurse out of curiosity what happens when the doctor is working on another delivery and a second baby is ready - we almost figured out first hand what happens.  We very well could have had a nurse deliver Mia.  Nothing in the room was ready for delivery - except Mia.  There were people rushing around everywhere trying to get things set up, the doctor finally arrived, and 2 pushes later Mia entered the world.

Bigger than her brother, she weighed 8 pounds 12 ounces and was 22 inches long!  A very healthy beautiful baby girl!  

The first week has been a breeze - she sleeps most of the day and night and when she's not sleeping she's eating.  She seems calm-natured, has the cutest cheeks in the world, and looks very much like Mateo.

Enjoy the pics from the first week.





This is Mateo (on bottom) - there seems to be quite a resemblence.  Mia has chubbier cheeks, but that's about it.  Maybe they all look the same when they are that new, only time will tell...

Mateo came up to the hospital to visit on Saturday.  He seemed truly shocked when he saw Mia.  He was silent for awhile and just stared at her.  He kept saying "I wanna touch her" and petting her cheeks and nose.  He gave her several kisses, kept wanting to look at her hair, and putting his face to hers.  He has been so sweet all week.  The first thing he does when he wakes up in the morning is ask "Where's Mia?"  He says "It's okay Mia" and pats her back when shes crying.  He always wants to sit or lay by her, hold her bottle, and still likes petting her.  I pray that it stays this way forever!







.
We tried to make this as much about Mateo as it was about Mia, so Juan took him out to get ice cream after he visited the hospital for a celebration









We got Mateo a doctor's kit from Mia, so that he could help take care of her and make sure she's healthy.


Listening to Mia's heart

This was Mateo's favorite spot to sleep, and appears to be Mia's too. We refer to it as "the shelf."

Her eyes are rarely open, but when they are we can tell she's got my big eyes just like Mateo, which will probably be the only way she resembles me.
When we got home Mateo seemed like a beast!  You just don't realize how big they are until you bring a new one home. When he sits on my lap he looks like a 10 year old now.  And I am struggling to pick him up.  Time for Mama to start lifting weights again!

I call her Sweet Cheeks for obvious reasons.  And my little Puppy, because she makes little barking and whining noises in her sleep like a puppy.

She did have jaundice when we brought her home, so we had to lay her by the windows to get indirect sunlight.  Mateo had the same thing.  Luckily it went away on it's own and we didn't have to do any other treatments.


Things have been going so well and I hope they stay this way.   So far she has been sleeping all night, just waking up to eat.  She's in her own crib which makes me miss her throughout the night, so I don't even mind the nighttime feedings.  Juan has been home to help this week and returns to work Monday, so we will see how it goes with just one set of hands.   Stay tuned for more pics...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for updating!! We've been thinking about you. She is just gorgeous!!! Congratulations and relish it! As you know the newborn phase flies!

    ReplyDelete