Sunday, August 30, 2015

First day of school!

Last year Mateo missed the Kindergarten cut off by 12 days.  Bad timing on giving birth!  So he participated in an Advanced Pre-K class, that was Kindergarten curriculum.  At the end of the year, his teacher insisted that I have him tested to see whether he should start first grade instead of Kindergarten.  At first I didn't think much of it, but then I heard that the first six weeks of Kinder would be learning letters.  Considering Mateo is reading chapter books and doing multiplication, I decided to pursue the testing.  

A couple weeks before school started we took Mateo in to his elementary school to meet with the counselor and principal and take a series of 3 tests.  He aced all of them, and the counselor said without a doubt he should start in first grade.  

This was a hard decision for us for several reasons - we didn't want to push him ahead and have him fail, we didn't want him to not be mature enough for first grade, and we didn't want him to be the only one that was new in this environment.  But, we had to trust his previous teacher and new counselor.  All we want is for him to be challenged and succeed no matter what grade he is in.  

The first week went great!  He seems to really like his teacher, Ms. Hogue, and his new school.  He has art, computer and music class throughout the week.  He has gym and recess daily.  We have him staying at the school for after school care.

So far he has been exhausted when he comes home.  The second day I picked him up he said "I don't feel like talking Mommy" because he was too tired.  Bed time will definitely start to inch earlier and earlier.

The biggest adjustment for me has been the change in my schedule.  I am used to being at work by about 7:15, and now I am dropping off Mateo at 7:30, and then getting stuck in traffic and getting to work between 8:30 and 9:00.  The good part is being able to spend one-on-one time with Mateo in the morning, when he is fresh and alert.  

It will definitely be a year of firsts and a year to remember.  The elementary school is so stinking cute and brings back memories.  I can't wait for school carnivals, open houses, performances, and homework.  I can't wait to see Mateo flourish in this environment and learn and grow.  And I know this is the beginning of the rest of his life.  Juan and I both take education so serious that I know this is more stressful for us than for him.  We are so proud of our little boy, and can't wait to experience this year at Willie Brown Elementary School!












No comments:

Post a Comment