Saturday, October 24, 2009

Poor Baby....

What a crazy week this has been! On Sunday Mateo started screaming in pain when we would pick him up under his arms - it seemed as if his left shoulder was the culprit. He was also favoring his right arm, but he had always done this so we didn't think much of it. Monday I called his pediatrician who said we might as well take him to the ER since they would have to do x-rays and they could also treat him if there was a problem. We spent Monday evening in the emergency room getting x-rays taken and the doctor finally diagnosed it as a fractured collarbone. Once they told us it would heal on its own in a few weeks, our biggest concern was how in the world did this happen?? We can't imagine what happened, and of course horrible thoughts cross your mind, like could he have some type of brittle bone disease?? The doctors assured us from the x-rays that isn't likely, and one of the doctors did mention that it could've happened at birth and just now have gotten irritated enough to bother him. This would make sense since he has never used his left arm the way he does his right - unfortunately we will never know for sure. The treatment is to keep his arm wrapped to immobilize it so that it will heal faster, in about 4 weeks. It doesn't seem to bother him, so we are thankful that he isn't in pain! We go to an orthopedist on Monday for a second opinion. By the time we got home that evening, I was running a 103 fever. The following day I was diagnosed with the flu! They gave me Tamiflu, but I wasn't able to take it since I am nursing. After a couple of days of Tylenol Cold and rest, I am feeling back to normal. Thank goodness Mateo and Juan seem to have avoided the germs. We are glad the week is over - it could only get better from here. Here are some recent pics...

All bandaged up

Poor little one-armed baby
Cute robe Major Cutie!!!
Going for a walk in the Baby Bjorn
Aunt Cindy
Pumpkin Butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment